Common Questions About DWI Charges

Do You Know What To Expect With DWI Charges?

If you are pulled over for a suspected DWI, you should know that you have rights. You have the right to ask for an attorney, and you have the right to a defense. This is true for any and all criminal allegations. However, when it comes to DWI allegations, there are many myths and rumors. Right now, you need answers you can rely on.

At the Law Office of Louis G. DeAngelis, LLC, our team is dedicated to results. We believe in quality over quantity. You can trust what our legal team tells you. To help you further, we have some common questions listed below. You should remember that every case has details and complicating factors. To speak with our attorneys and get personalized advice, call our office at (201) 630-0582.

What Happens When You Get A DWI?

A DWI charge will lead to a hearing in a local municipal court. In the state of New Jersey, a DWI is technically a traffic offense; however, you will not receive points on your driving record for a DWI conviction. A DWI conviction will stay on your driving record for as long as you have your license. This illustrates the important of working with an attorney from the start.

You should expect license restrictions or suspension. You may also face impoundment, and you may be required to use an ignition interlock device. More detailed information is available here.

If this is not your first DWI, the charges are much more severe and other DWI-related consequences may apply.

Can A DWI Be Dismissed?

Under certain circumstances, your case may be dismissed if you fulfill a diversion program successfully. To find out more about your options, reach out to our firm.

Can You Get A DWI For Driving While High?

Any intoxicated driving is illegal, even when impairment comes from prescription and illicit drugs.

Drugged driving charges or DUID convictions can lead to thousands of dollars in fines, a criminal record that stays with you, incarceration and other consequences. If someone was injured or if you are not a first-time offender, the consequences become increasingly severe.

How Can I Protect Myself?

The best thing you can do for your own protection is call an attorney. Our office in Englewood has been working with criminal defense cases for over a decade. For effective representation from an attorney who will fight for you, call or .