Hackensack Drug Distribution Lawyer
Defend Against Drug Distribution Charges in Bergen County
In the face of drug-related crimes, you deserve an effective legal representative to protect your rights and defend your future. The Law Office of Louis G. DeAngelis cares about results and aims to achieve the goals set forward with their clients. A criminal charge can seriously impact an individual’s future, so it is critical that a defendant seek experienced legal representation to fight against an unfair drug distribution charge.
What is Considered Drug Distribution?
While it's a crime to possess illicit drugs in every state, the distribution of drugs is prosecuted much more severely. Distribution can refer to trafficking large amounts of drugs across state lines or national borders, transporting drugs from a safe house to the point of sale, or selling directly to buyers. In New Jersey, individuals can even be charged with drug distribution merely for the intent to do so.
Under the state statute, it is unlawful for any person knowingly or purposely to:
- manufacture, distribute or dispense, or possess or under their control with intent to manufacture or distribute or dispense a controlled dangerous substance or controlled substance analog; or
- create, distribute, or possess or have under their control with intent to distribute a counterfeit controlled dangerous substance.
New Jersey’s Drug Classification and Sentencing
Drug distribution offenses are classified according to the type of substance and amount allegedly distributed (either actual or intended), including the weight of any adulterants or dilutants.
The classifications for a heroin- or cocaine-related charge are:
- 5 oz. or more – first degree crime punishable by 10-20 years in prison
- 0.5 oz. to 5 oz. – second degree offense punishable by 5-10 years in prison
- Less than 0.5 oz. – third degree crime punishable by 3-5 years in prison
Schedule I or II narcotics are classified under the following penalties:
- 1 oz. or more – second degree offense punishable by 5-10 years in prison
- Less than 1 oz. – third degree crime punishable by 3-5 years in prison
- Distribution of Lysergic Acid Diethylamide (LSD) will warrant 5-10 years in prison (a second degree offense) for an amount less than 100 milligrams or where the amount is undetermined.
For distribution of methamphetamine, individuals could face the following:
- 5 oz. or more – first degree crime carrying 10-20 years in prison
- 0.5 oz. to 5 oz. – second degree offense carrying 5-10 years in prison
- Less than 0.5 oz. – third degree crime with 5-10 years in prison
The classification for marijuana includes:
- 25 lbs. or more, 50 or more plants, or more than 5 lbs. of hashish/concentrate: first degree crime punishable by 10-20 years in prison and/or $300,000 in fines
- 5 lbs. to 25 lbs., 10-50 plants, or 1 lb. to 5 lbs. of hashish/concentrate – second degree offense punishable by 5-10 years in jail and/or $150,000 in fines
- 1 oz. to 5 lbs. or 5 g. to 1 lbs. of hashish/concentrate – third degree crime carrying 3-5 years in prison and/or $25,000 in fines
- Less than 1 oz. or less than 5 g. of hashish/concentrate – fourth degree crime punishable by 1.5 years in jail and/or $25,000 in fines
Additionally, if the marijuana distribution occurred within 1,000 feet of a school zone, the defendant could possible face an additional 3-5 years in prison and/or $150,000 in fines.
Note: that some convictions for selling drugs or possession with intent to sell drugs in the state are eligible for expungement. New Jersey allows a person to clear a criminal record that contains a third or fourth degree indictable drug offense, depending on the circumstances. Interested individuals must wait 6 years, though, after the completion of any sentencing and payment of fines before applying. Those with a first or second degree conviction cannot have their record expunged.
Accused of Distributing Drugs?
If you are facing drug distribution charges in Bergen County, speak with an experienced attorney immediately to begin crafting your defense. The consequences for such a charge can be severe, but a good lawyer like Attorney Louis G. DeAngelis, LLC can make a difference in the sentencing you might face.
At Law Office of Louis G. DeAngelis, LLC, your satisfaction is our priority! See for yourself what our clients have to say about working with us.
Louis DeAngelis represented me in a few different cases with respect and professionalism. All the cases ended exactly the way they told me.- P.L.M.
For over 10 years I have used him for countless cases always with great satisfaction. On more than 10 occasions he has helped me resolve many different situations.- Z.A.
If you are in search of not only a great lawyer but a great person, Louis DeAngelis is the one! From the moment I contacted him about a car accident, he was professional and compassionate and kept me calm.- K.G.
If Louis takes your case, it is because he is confident that he can defend you and he will give you the best representation for your issue.- D.S.
Excellent in every way and I was not an easy client. So skilled and educated 1st class!!!!!! I was shocked at how well my ...- H.P.
I chose Louis Deangelis because he stood out amongst his competition in Bergen County. He was extremely thorough and ...- M.A.
The Law Office of Louis DeAngelis was an absolute pleasure to work with. The efficiency and speed with which this office ...- R.L.
Great service all around. Knows and understands the system and will treat you always as a first-class client. FIRST CLASS ...- A.O.